Enter the base name or location (i.e. "North Carolina" or "Pearl Harbor")
|Army||Air Force||Coast Guard||Navy||Marines|
Title: Staff Nurse II - Emergency Department (1298) On Call Eve
Location: Redwood City, CA
The Registered Nurse (RN) provides & coordinates emergency nursing care for patients for a designated time frame. Participates in patient/family teaching & provides leadership in working cooperatively w/members of the health care team to maintain standards of professional nursing practice in the clinical setting.
- MSE reflecting sound clinical knowledge & judgment, & consistent w/Standardized Procedure & State/Federal regulations.
- Provision of competent Emergency nursing care, for all ages, acuities & conditions in the population the facility serves.
- Works within scope of practice, including standardized procedures, & communicates clearly w/all members of health care team.
- Completes duties w/regard to safety practices & policies, including infection control, workplace safety, & management of aggressive behaviors.
- Provision of care is consistent w/EMTALA, Nurse Practice Act, Title 22 & other applicable regulations, including patient confidentiality & risk management.
- Proficiencies in emergency responses such as resuscitation/codes, hazmat response, & emergency childbirth.
- Proficient in the use of computers in documentation, tracking, conveying information.
- Teamwork w/all internal & external departments & agencies involved in the provision of care.
- Medication administration & management including titrating infusions & pediatric medications.
- Requires dependable attendance to scheduled shifts & required staff development.
- Maintains all required licenses, certifications & professional development/ continuing education requirements per department & facility standards.
- Performs assessment/data collection in an on-going systematic manner, focusing on physiologic, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual & cognitive status; also nutrition, pain, patient/family education, family involvement & patient advocacy.
- Formulates a goal-directed plan of care in collaboration w/the health care team.
- Implements care in a thorough, skillful, consistent, & continuous manner.
- Establishes priorities or patient care based on essential patient needs & available unit resources of time, personnel, equipment, & supplies.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care given by all health care team members.
- Identifies patient/family learning needs & implements appropriate measures.
- Documents patient care & unit activities in a timely, accurate, & concise manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of & applies safety principles as identified within the institution.
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient care situations following established protocols, remaining calm, informing appropriate persons, & documenting events.
- Demonstrates responsibility & accountability for own professional practice.
- Participates in department & interdepartmental Performance Improvement activities as directed.
- Delegates appropriately & coordinates duties of health care team members.
- Demonstrates a service philosophy in all interactions w/patients, families, & all members of the health care team.
- Establishes effective working relationships w/members of the health care team, patients, & families.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the resolution of staffing issues.
- Performs other related duties as necessary.
- This job motivates & provides work direction (direct, check, review, assign, organize & coordination) to LVN's, ED Technicians, unit assistants, etc., but does not have the authority to hire, fire or discipline.
- One year of recent (within the last three years) experience as a Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Graduate of an accredited registered nursing program & completion of the current hours required by the BRN of RN student clinical experience OR Graduate of registered nursing program & either: 1) 2000 hours of RN experience in clinical area of specialty from a licensed acute care facility within three (3) years of graduation; or 2) graduate of an accredited licensed vocational nursing program that includes clinical student experience in acute care & has worked 2000 hours as a licensed vocational nurse within the clinical area of specialty within three (3) years before graduation or currently enrolled in an accredited entry level MSN program and has completed pre-licensure requirements to practice nursing.
- Successful completion of, or enrollment leading to successful completion of, the KP Emergency Nursing Course w/ preceptorship, or equivalent training, or equivalent experience.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in California.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for health care providers.
- ACLS & PALS certification required within six months of date of hire into ED position; TNCC, if required, within one year of date of hire into ED position. Depending on the facility, TNCC or NRP may also be required for this position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the RN scope of practice.
- Demonstrated commitment to service orientation (members, staff, providers).
- Demonstrated effective written & oral communication skills (in English).
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the appropriate collective bargaining agreement.