Stanford University Lab Assistant 2 in Stanford, California
Laboratory Assistant II
JCC 5794/Range A16
50% FTE, Non-Exempt
Job Series P40
School of Engineering, Bioengineering
The Fischbach lab seeks an experience lab assistant whose responsibilities will include dishwashing, media/buffer prep, and human cell culture. Because the Fischbach lab works with >100 different strains of bacteria, the individual will be responsible for preparing several different liquid and solid medias. The individual will also be required to perform several cell culture tasks including, but not limited to: maintaining human cell lines, testing for mycoplasma, purifying T- and B-cells from human blood, and confirming incompetency of viruses prepared in the lab. Additional responsibilities will include making stock solutions, buffers, keeping inventory of supplies, and re-ordering supplies.
Depending on need, this position may support other labs and/or increase in FTE.
Responsibilities: Laboratory Assistant IIs perform more complex laboratory support tasks and/or have charge of laboratory equipment and supplies of limited variety of complexity. At this level, employees work independently on some duties and receive supervision in the performance of their more demanding functions.
- Make complex media, reagents, etc., requiring a series of laboratory operations, carrying out the series without intermediate instruction.
- Calculate and plot graphs from data.
- Maintain stock control and inventory of laboratory supplies and equipment, including keeping records, recording, tracking down missing items, etc.
- Perform routine equipment servicing, either performing work or contacting appropriate outside contractor; keep service records.
- May give brief orientation talks to students concerning location of equipment in the laboratory, etc.
- May train, oversee or coordinate the work of lower-level employees; when such supervision involves two or more employees, a position may then be classified at the II level even though the remainder of the duties are at the Laboratory Assistant I level.
Additional Specific Duties:
- Prepare buffers and antibiotic stock solutions
- Purifying T and B cells from human blood
- Test for mycoplasma in cell lines
- Purify DNA on multiple scales
- Confirm incompetency of viruses used in tissue culture
The work requires manual dexterity sufficient to perform the characteristic duties, habits of cleanliness and neatness, and the ability to follow carefully detailed oral or written instructions. In addition, high school course work in a laboratory science or equivalent exposure to a laboratory environment would be beneficial.
Laboratory Assistant at level II must have demonstrated initiative and good judgement, and the skills required to perform work with a minimum of error and less day-to-day supervision. In order to qualify for this level, employees usually have had a minimum of one year’s experience at the level I or equivalent.
Employees must have demonstrated initiative and good judgment, and the skills required to perform work with a minimum of error and less day-to-day supervision.
LABORATORY WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Will work within a lab, and have exposure to blood and other chemical substances.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Applicants are required to upload a resume and a cover letter to be considered.
About Stanford University
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, is one of the world’s leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 which is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Thank you for your interest!
Location: School of Engineering
Req ID: 75969
Job Grade: 5794