Northrop Grumman Mechanical Engineer 4 in San Diego, California
Mechanical Engineer 4
Requisition ID: 18005511
Location(s): United States-California-San Diego
US Citizenship Required for this Position: Yes
Relocation Assistance: Relocation assistance may be available
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time
Northrop Grumman Mission Systems (NGMS) sector is seeking a Mechanical Engineer with in-depth knowledge of CAD design and airborne systems and structures for air vehicles and ground stations hosting communications, to join the MQ-4C Triton program. This is a position based out of the Spectrum Center campus in San Diego, CA that supports several intercompany work order contracts ranging from production to technology enhancements.
The selected candidate works as the Hardware Engineering Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead under Program Management direction toward successful completion of specific Program goals and objectives. The Hardware IPT Lead is responsible for oversight of the hardware engineering technical team. The Hardware IPT Lead is responsible for the hardware design and supporting integration, test, logistics and field support of systems comprised of RF, analog and digital hardware and software, and will determine and pursue courses of action necessary to obtain desired results. The Hardware IPT lead will be responsible for budgetary planning and schedule development of all hardware engineering tasks. The Hardware IPT lead will also ensure that planned tasks are executed on time using resources assigned. This position serves as organization spokesperson on advanced concepts for the program, acts as advisor to management and customers on advanced technical studies and applications and develops advanced technological ideas and guides their development into a final product.
The selected candidate will perform technical planning, hardware analyses and definition of hardware requirements, make-or-buy designs, integration, verification, validation, cost and risk analyses, supportability analyses and assessment of effectiveness. Perform analyses of HW communications system architecture with attention to integration concerns, product life cycle, and obsolescence. Perform or guide design, production and verification analysis of hardware components and their interfaces, including military terminals, accessories, cabling, computing equipment.
Position will require:
• Providing detailed designs and guiding others in designs of airborne systems and installations.
• Should possess a strong understanding of electrical-mechanical component design principles of mechanical engineering and the understanding of structural, electrical, and thermal relationships.
• SolidWorks CAD design and simulation analysis.
• Engineering liaison between procurement and production for the interpretation of engineering design, documentation, and BOM management.
• Candidate must be able to meet aggressive/accelerated schedule deadlines.
• Development of engineering schedules and staffing plans
• Strong knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM) to plan, monitor and report hardware engineering activities.
• Participating in production planning for airborne systems.
• Work is performed without appreciable direction.
• Exercises considerable latitude in determining technical objectives of assignment. Completed work is reviewed from a relatively long- term perspective, for desired results.
• Advising Project Engineer and Program Staff as technical liaison for hardware systems.
• Participating in proposals, including evaluating contractor and subcontractor proposals for air frames, airborne platforms, and related components.
•Produce and review technical drawings under ASME Y14.100, procedures, and other documents to define the design and program requirements.
• Bachelor's Degree in STEM field with a minimum of 9 years of related experience, 7 years with a Master's, 4 years with PhD
•SolidWorks CAD 3D design plus full detail drawings
• Candidate should have excellent communication skills, both internal and with government customers.
• Experience in a technical leadership role with a variety of projects
• Proficientwith EVMS
• Proficient in personal computing skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Must to able to obtain a Secret Clearance
•Mechanical and aerospace hardware design, production, and analysis experience
•Experience in a variety of manned and unmanned airborne systems
•Experience with airborne communications systems integration and modifications, including payload rack installations, equipment and operations, platform systems integration and ground and flight testing
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO . U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.
Title: Mechanical Engineer 4
Location: California-San Diego
Requisition ID: 18005511